Search Site

Enforcing a Personal Protection Order Against Domestic Violence

Close-up of a young woman making a stop gesture. Focus on foreground

Domestic violence is a general term defining the use of force or intimidation against someone in a close relationship, such as a spouse, intimate partner, child or other relative or household member. It is a common occurrence that can result in bodily harm and even death. Fortunately, there are means by which victims can obtain the protection of the courts and police.

A court is empowered to issue a personal protection order (PPO) in a variety of circumstances in which your safety or that of your minor child may be at risk. A PPO can prohibit an alleged abuser from engaging in a number of actions that may threaten you, including:

  • Attacking or injuring you
  • Threatening to injure or kill you
  • Stalking or harassing you
  • Going to your home, workplace or other place you frequent
  • Trying to get you fired
  • Interfering with your lawful custody of your children
  • Preventing you from removing your children or property from the abuser’s home
  • Harming or removing your pet, or threatening to do so, in order to cause you emotional distress or control you
  • Obtaining information from records of your child that can be used to track you down

If your child has been physically abused by another student at their school, a PPO can prohibit that student from continuing to attend school in the same building.

A PPO can prohibit an abuser from doing anything that interferes with your personal liberty or causes you to reasonably fear violence. Nevertheless, a PPO is not a guarantee that your abuser will leave you alone. They might try to violate it or to persuade you not to enforce it, promising never to abuse you again, only to revert to their abusive behavior because they just can’t help themselves. You should not give them that opportunity, and you should seek help the moment they do anything in violation of the order.

Make sure to take a copy of the PPO and the proof that it was served on your abuser with you whenever you go out, and contact the police if you feel threatened. A domestic violence attorney can help you obtain and, if necessary, enforce the PPO in court, including asking a court to punish your abuser for violating the order.

Dawson Family Law, PLLC in Sterling Heights, Michigan represents victims of domestic violence, representing them in proceedings to obtain, modify and enforce a PPO and giving them practical advice on how to get maximum benefit. Please call 833-671-4445 or contact me online for a free initial consultation.

Contact us

Please fill out the form below and one of our attorneys will contact you.

Quick Contact Form

Office Location
  • Sterling Heights Office
    43805 Van Dyke Avenue
    Sterling Heights, Michigan 48314
    Phone: 586-731-7400
    Fax: 586-731-6370
  • AV Badge
  • "Dave Dawson was very helpful and informative. He is a no nonsense kind of attorney that gets results. I would recommend to a friend."  --J.L.

  • "Mr. Dawson, Brilliant work! Yesterday I still couldn’t believe you actually brought me back to life and thinking back how you did your best – brilliant – thank you!"  --Holger K.

  • "Dear David, Thanks so much for everything! You have done so much for me these last couple of months! I am eternally grateful."  --Ryann M.

  • "David, I really appreciate being able to refer clients who can benefit from your knowledge and experience. Thank you,"  --Jon Corbin