Navigating a divorce can be an emotionally and legally trying process, and one of the most critical decisions you’ll make is choosing the lawyer who will represent your interests. A capable lawyer can take the workload off your shoulders so that you can focus on other things that are important, like supporting your family and investing in your own healing.
The following are essential qualities and factors that can be considered in making an informed choice of attorney for your Michigan divorce:
- Experience — An attorney with a significant amount of experience is more likely to have encountered a wide range of issues and scenarios. The lawyer should also have a deep understanding of Michigan’s divorce laws, procedures and local court practices.
- Family law concentration — A lawyer who concentrates in family law and divorce cases will be up-to-date with any recent changes in relevant laws and will be better equipped to provide tailored advice and strategies for your divorce case.
- Communication skills — Your lawyer should be a good listener, capable of understanding your concerns and goals. They should also be able to explain legal concepts in a way that you can easily grasp.
- Client-focused attitude — A divorce lawyer should prioritize your best interests and be dedicated to achieving the best possible outcome for you. They should actively pursue your goals and work tirelessly to protect your rights.
- Reputation — Research the lawyer’s reputation by checking the web for reviews, testimonials and referrals from former clients.
- Compatibility — Your lawyer will be your partner throughout the divorce process, so you should feel comfortable with their personality, communication style and general demeanor.
- Fee and cost arrangements — Discuss the lawyer’s fees and billing structure upfront to be sure that it aligns with your budget and expectations.
- Availability — Verify that the lawyer has the time and resources to handle your case effectively. An overly busy lawyer might not be able to respond promptly to your needs.
- Strategy and approach —The lawyer should be able to outline a clear plan and be prepared to adapt it as necessary based on the unique circumstances of your case.
- Local knowledge — A lawyer who practices regularly in the geographic area where your case will be decided may have insights that could benefit your case.
- Mediation and negotiation skills — Most divorce cases do not go to trial, so a lawyer’s ability to negotiate effectively is critical.
- Transparency and ethical stature — A trustworthy divorce lawyer should provide clear and honest advice, even if it may not be what you want to hear. They should also adhere to the legal and ethical standards of their profession.
It’s advisable to consult with multiple divorce attorneys to compare their qualifications and perceived strengths and how well they match your needs. Additionally, ask for recommendations from trusted friends, family or professional colleagues.
Dawson Family Law, PLLC in Sterling Heights represents Michigan clients in all aspects of divorce proceedings. For a free initial consultation, please call 833-671-4445 or contact us online.